Ten cyclists injured each month on Pulau Ubin's 'danger spot'
Channel NewsAsia, 09 Jun 07
SINGAPORE: From falling tree branches to falling cyclists at Pulau Ubin - each month at least 10 cyclists get hurt while negotiating a particularly tricky spot on the rustic island.
Two weeks ago, radio DJ Zhou Chong Qing was sent flying to the ground while on his way down a slope in front of Belatok Hut.
"When I came down from here, the speed was very fast. So when I pressed the brake, I just flew off the bicycle, and I broke two bones from my left arm, and I scratched myself and I broke four teeth. And also the bicycle scratched me at the right side of my body," says Zhou.
Those familiar with the spot say over 10 accidents occur here each month. In fact, in just 10 minutes, Channel NewsAsia spotted two cyclists almost falling off their bicycles. This is despite warning signs that had been put up some 10 feet away from the danger spot.
But the rugged slope is not the only issue here - operators of bicycle rental kiosks here say Singaporeans rarely rent protective helmets!
"Caucasians are more aware of the safety aspects of things, so they are willing to pay $2 a day, compared to locals. Especially in this area here, it's a bit hilly you know, it's not like Singapore roads also," says Chan, Bicycle Rental Kiosk Operator.
Adventure-seekers are advised to be more aware of personal safety needs to maximise their thrills - minus the spills! - CNA/yy
Saturday, June 09, 2007
Sunday, June 03, 2007
Pedal Ubin on 2 June 2007
Pedal Ubin guides and 2 participants after a satisfactory ride
Yesterday was the first Pedal Ubin held this year as from now on, the event would be a quarterly affair. More than 40 participants turned up although many more actually signed up for the event. However, the smaller number made each group more intimate and personal.
The Balai Quarry near Chek Jawa at Northeast Ubin
My group consisted of 3 guides and we took on the east route towards the Malay kampong and went as far as the gates of Chek Jawa. It was the second time I took the route and the first time I actually cycled to Chek Jawa. It was a breezier ride than I expected and the first time I glimpsed sight of Balai Quarry near Chek Jawa. If there was a stamp for every quarry one visits on Ubin, I'm happy to report that I would have collected the entire set! I've now seen all of the quarries and each one just as spectacular.
The gates of Chek Jawa, due to be opened soon
The boardwalk at Chek Jawa is due to open soon, possibly in July, and I await with much anticipation. Next time we would be able to cycle all the way to Chek Jawa itself and visit the boardwalk.
Remnants of a previous house at the Malay Kampong
Still this ride to the east is a rare chance for casual visitors to see things that one would usually not see on Ubin! This includes the old Malay Kampong that was resettled to make way for the reclamation at Chek Jawa and the southern shoreline of Ubin. Sadly, since reclamation was defered, what change has been made cannot be undone.
The little bit of brick longkang sticking out of the shoreline is what remains of Sungei Ubin and the mangroves beside it are all young'uns
Houses were not the only things that were removed. What more, entire shoreline of mangroves were also removed to make way for prawn farms at Sungei Ubin since it was thought to soon make way for reclamation. However, since deferment, it would take another 50 years before the mangrove would regain its previous majesty.
Yet all is not lost, despite Sungei Ubin being reduced to a small opening controlled by sluice gates, chek jawa like intertidal areas were spotted at low tide. A giant mudskipper happily swam by when it heard my enquiring for its appearance.
I also finally encountered the tallest tree on Ubin - the Pulai Tree on the way to Chek Jawa - for the first time! After always trying to photograph it from out at sea, its height did not fail its reputation upclose. Interestingly there is also a malay grave at the foot of the tree! This must be a sacred tree indeed.
Chek Jawa on the left with the boardwalk being seen visibly extending out from shore and Pulau Sekudu can be seen as a little islet on the right. The tallest tree, Pulai tree can be seen sticking out from the canopy on the left of the picture.
At low tide, Pulau Sekudu, the frog island, was also spotted clearly and the new boardwalk at Chek Jawa could be easily seen. This surely brought on much anticipation in this monkey. For more photos of the 2nd June 2007 ride to the east, visit my flickr set.
Tuesday, April 24, 2007
“天湖”可克石场 周末吸引不少游人
联合早报 Lianhe Zaobao
吴汉钧
24 April 2007
乌敏岛有五个废矿湖,被称为“天湖”的可克石场(Kekek Quarry)最受游人欢迎,周末可看到不少人不顾警告投入矿湖游泳、划木筏,或在湖边露营、野餐。
可克石场有路可通,周末许多游人乘德士从码头到矿湖边。虽然矿湖边有栅门和围栏,但并未把矿湖全部围起来。游人也可穿过围栏上的破洞或绕过围栏走到矿湖戏水或享受矿湖的宁静环境。
乌敏岛五个由废石场形成的矿湖,分别是可克石场、益华石场、乌敏石场、北干石场和中央花岗石场。本月初,政府宣布要重开可克石场进行有限度的采石活动,了解重开本地采石业需要的经验。
大自然爱好者陈冰婷(25岁)受访时说,前往乌敏岛其他矿湖的路比较难走,只有可克石场较容易抵达,因此他们带团到乌敏岛游玩时,都会选择可克石场。
她说:“虽然矿湖有一定的危险,但我们还是看到有人游泳、划木筏、野餐,晚上还有人露营。周末游人更是络绎不绝,有骑脚踏车的,也有搭客货车的。”
乌敏矿湖也有条山径可攀爬,在最高点可观赏美景,但不能就近戏水,所以不受游人欢迎。
陈冰婷是国大地理系应届毕业生,四年前开始在莱佛士生物多样性研究博物馆里当义工,带领公众到乌敏岛游玩,也在互联网博客记录乌敏岛的点点滴滴。
她与乌敏岛上的矿湖也有渊源。她的外祖父母那一辈亲戚都是乌敏岛居民,有的曾拥有采石公司,有的曾是采石工人。她的母亲在已于1980年代关闭的敏江学校就读。
希望局限在可克石场
对于政府决定有限度开采可克石场,陈冰婷表示可以理解,但她希望不要扩大到其他石场。她也关注政府打算发出多长的采石合同,因为政府还未透露开采期限。
她在矿湖区看到许多动物如原鸡(jungle fowl)、水獭、巨蜥、蜂鸟、山猪、犀鸟等,她希望采石活动对这些野生动物的影响能降至最低。
自然学会环保组组长何华宙博士说,他主要关注矿水的处理方式及对周遭红树林的影响。他认为,抽出来的矿水最好不要排到海里,而是附近的矿湖如益华石场。他希望政府在把矿水抽出前进行仔细的水质调查。
他说:“只要采石活动局限在可克石场,不扩大范围或扩展到其他石场,我们并不太担心。”
自然学会会员张隆华说,政府的初步调查结果提到植物和鸟类,但没提到其他哺乳动物、昆虫等的生长情况。
他也希望石场附近的河流及红树林不受影响,因为本地的淡水河岸红树林已很稀少,多数是沿海红树林。
前自然学会会员杨德兴不担心重启采石活动会对乌敏岛的鸟类造成影响。他曾是自然学会野鸟组组员,现在是导游,经营旅游公司。
他说,到乌敏岛观鸟通常集中在中部和东部仄爪哇一带,不会到偏远的可克矿湖
吴汉钧
24 April 2007
乌敏岛有五个废矿湖,被称为“天湖”的可克石场(Kekek Quarry)最受游人欢迎,周末可看到不少人不顾警告投入矿湖游泳、划木筏,或在湖边露营、野餐。
可克石场有路可通,周末许多游人乘德士从码头到矿湖边。虽然矿湖边有栅门和围栏,但并未把矿湖全部围起来。游人也可穿过围栏上的破洞或绕过围栏走到矿湖戏水或享受矿湖的宁静环境。
乌敏岛五个由废石场形成的矿湖,分别是可克石场、益华石场、乌敏石场、北干石场和中央花岗石场。本月初,政府宣布要重开可克石场进行有限度的采石活动,了解重开本地采石业需要的经验。
大自然爱好者陈冰婷(25岁)受访时说,前往乌敏岛其他矿湖的路比较难走,只有可克石场较容易抵达,因此他们带团到乌敏岛游玩时,都会选择可克石场。
她说:“虽然矿湖有一定的危险,但我们还是看到有人游泳、划木筏、野餐,晚上还有人露营。周末游人更是络绎不绝,有骑脚踏车的,也有搭客货车的。”
乌敏矿湖也有条山径可攀爬,在最高点可观赏美景,但不能就近戏水,所以不受游人欢迎。
陈冰婷是国大地理系应届毕业生,四年前开始在莱佛士生物多样性研究博物馆里当义工,带领公众到乌敏岛游玩,也在互联网博客记录乌敏岛的点点滴滴。
她与乌敏岛上的矿湖也有渊源。她的外祖父母那一辈亲戚都是乌敏岛居民,有的曾拥有采石公司,有的曾是采石工人。她的母亲在已于1980年代关闭的敏江学校就读。
希望局限在可克石场
对于政府决定有限度开采可克石场,陈冰婷表示可以理解,但她希望不要扩大到其他石场。她也关注政府打算发出多长的采石合同,因为政府还未透露开采期限。
她在矿湖区看到许多动物如原鸡(jungle fowl)、水獭、巨蜥、蜂鸟、山猪、犀鸟等,她希望采石活动对这些野生动物的影响能降至最低。
自然学会环保组组长何华宙博士说,他主要关注矿水的处理方式及对周遭红树林的影响。他认为,抽出来的矿水最好不要排到海里,而是附近的矿湖如益华石场。他希望政府在把矿水抽出前进行仔细的水质调查。
他说:“只要采石活动局限在可克石场,不扩大范围或扩展到其他石场,我们并不太担心。”
自然学会会员张隆华说,政府的初步调查结果提到植物和鸟类,但没提到其他哺乳动物、昆虫等的生长情况。
他也希望石场附近的河流及红树林不受影响,因为本地的淡水河岸红树林已很稀少,多数是沿海红树林。
前自然学会会员杨德兴不担心重启采石活动会对乌敏岛的鸟类造成影响。他曾是自然学会野鸟组组员,现在是导游,经营旅游公司。
他说,到乌敏岛观鸟通常集中在中部和东部仄爪哇一带,不会到偏远的可克矿湖
Concrete plans to sustain construction; New scheme to step up use of alternative building materials over next 5 years
TODAY
Leong Wee Keat
24 April 2007
YOUR future home is likely to be constructed with less concrete as the Government seeks to step up the use of alternative and sustainable materials such as steel, glass and aluminium.
The aim is to reduce the use of concrete as a key construction material by 30 to 50 per cent over the next five years, through a Sustainable Construction Master Plan laid out by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).
The plan comes in the wake of disruption in the supply of sand and granite - key components of concrete - following restrictions imposed by the Indonesian government.
The restrictions caused the price of concrete to jump from about $70 per cubic metre to between $180 and $200 now.
Steel is at least 10 per cent more expensive than the current cost of concrete, but BCA chief executive Dr John Keung said the gap between the two raw materials is "fast narrowing".
Unveiling the BCA plan yesterday, Minister of State for National Development Grace Fu said the construction industry, in the long term, "must adopt sustainable construction in a comprehensive manner to reduce its vulnerability to disruptions in supply of essential materials".
Over the next three months, the BCA will work with industry partners and relevant agencies to review existing rules and regulations.
For example, the BCA hopes to introduce a new code to encourage the use of recycled building materials - such as recycled concrete - in construction.
The BCA is also working with relevant agencies, such as the Urban Redevelopment Authority and the Fire Safety and Shelter Department, to accord priority to amendment plans for on-going projects that are switching to sustainable designs and materials.
Construction standards will also be reviewed, including those for manufactured steel.
Currently, the steel allowed here for structural construction is based on British standards. But the BCA said it would release, in the next three months, a change in guidelines which will allow for other standards of steel and the import of steel from sources such as the United States or Japan.
Industry experts agreed that the move towards sustainable construction methods would be good for the industry.
DP Architects director Tai Lee Siang said the use of steel would bring about a cleaner and faster construction process. "In terms of long-term sustainability and recycle ability, steel is also better than concrete," he added.
Mr Desmond Hill, president of the Singapore Contractors Association, said he would like to see developers become more flexible in the use of recycled building materials for non-structural components. This would help promote the use of sustainable materials in construction, he said.
On the manpower front, the BCA will run more courses to equip practitioners with better understanding of sustainable construction.
It is also in discussion with local universities to strengthen the curriculum on structural steel design.
Ms Fu also added that mining activity could start at the Kekek Granite Quarry in Pulau Ubin in three to six months. Reopening the quarry is part of the government's plans to make up for the granite shortfall facing Singapore.
Leong Wee Keat
24 April 2007
YOUR future home is likely to be constructed with less concrete as the Government seeks to step up the use of alternative and sustainable materials such as steel, glass and aluminium.
The aim is to reduce the use of concrete as a key construction material by 30 to 50 per cent over the next five years, through a Sustainable Construction Master Plan laid out by the Building and Construction Authority (BCA).
The plan comes in the wake of disruption in the supply of sand and granite - key components of concrete - following restrictions imposed by the Indonesian government.
The restrictions caused the price of concrete to jump from about $70 per cubic metre to between $180 and $200 now.
Steel is at least 10 per cent more expensive than the current cost of concrete, but BCA chief executive Dr John Keung said the gap between the two raw materials is "fast narrowing".
Unveiling the BCA plan yesterday, Minister of State for National Development Grace Fu said the construction industry, in the long term, "must adopt sustainable construction in a comprehensive manner to reduce its vulnerability to disruptions in supply of essential materials".
Over the next three months, the BCA will work with industry partners and relevant agencies to review existing rules and regulations.
For example, the BCA hopes to introduce a new code to encourage the use of recycled building materials - such as recycled concrete - in construction.
The BCA is also working with relevant agencies, such as the Urban Redevelopment Authority and the Fire Safety and Shelter Department, to accord priority to amendment plans for on-going projects that are switching to sustainable designs and materials.
Construction standards will also be reviewed, including those for manufactured steel.
Currently, the steel allowed here for structural construction is based on British standards. But the BCA said it would release, in the next three months, a change in guidelines which will allow for other standards of steel and the import of steel from sources such as the United States or Japan.
Industry experts agreed that the move towards sustainable construction methods would be good for the industry.
DP Architects director Tai Lee Siang said the use of steel would bring about a cleaner and faster construction process. "In terms of long-term sustainability and recycle ability, steel is also better than concrete," he added.
Mr Desmond Hill, president of the Singapore Contractors Association, said he would like to see developers become more flexible in the use of recycled building materials for non-structural components. This would help promote the use of sustainable materials in construction, he said.
On the manpower front, the BCA will run more courses to equip practitioners with better understanding of sustainable construction.
It is also in discussion with local universities to strengthen the curriculum on structural steel design.
Ms Fu also added that mining activity could start at the Kekek Granite Quarry in Pulau Ubin in three to six months. Reopening the quarry is part of the government's plans to make up for the granite shortfall facing Singapore.
Monday, April 23, 2007
Mining work may start at Kekek Quarry in 3-6 months: Grace Fu
23 April 2007
Channel NewsAsia
SINGAPORE : Mining activity could start at the Kekek Granite Quarry in Pulau Ubin in three to six months.
This is according to Minister of State for National Development Grace Fu.
Re-opening the quarry is part of the government's plans to make up for the granite shortfall facing Singapore, after supply was disrupted last month.
Meanwhile, authorities are also working to reduce granite and concrete prices.
It is still quiet at the granite quarries on Pulau Ubin, and a lot of work needs to be done before granite blasting begins.
This includes draining the pond and making sure that the marine life and surrounding environment are protected.
The National Development Ministry said there were no plans to mine granite in any large extent.
But the re-opening of the Kekek Quarry was a way of building up mining expertise and meeting industry needs in the near term.
The government has already released granite from its stockpile since supply from Indonesia was disrupted.
With new shipment arriving from alternative sources, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) hopes to adjust granite prices from May onwards.
Ms Fu said, "The way that we look at stockpile price is really to look at what is the replacement price, and because we have awarded several contracts on procurement of sand and granite, we think that there is some room for granite prices to come down and that is what BCA will do.
"The whole intention is to make sure that the construction cost in terms of the use of granite and concrete will be as competitive as we can, despite the higher cost of transportation, that it will reflect the market price as closely as possible."
This will, in turn, lower the price of pre-mixed concrete used in construction.
It hit a high of S$200 per cubic metre after the supply disruption.
But the price has now dropped to between S$170 and S$180.
Observers expect the price to dip further but they added that the key was to look at non-concrete options.
Tai Lee Siang, President, Singapore Institute of Architects, said, "In a very highly-urbanised environment like Singapore where buildings have to maximise its potential which means that buildings have to actually go high or go big - in these kind of buildings, it's very hard to go for alternative materials...yet, however for low scale development, I think (we) could see a combination of concrete and timber perhaps, and maybe in the future, more interesting alternatives that research could go into. So in Singapore, in this way, we are still very much lagging behind in looking for alternative materials."
Looking ahead, authorities will conduct more R&D - drawing from the Ministry's S$15 million research fund.
Industry players said the sand ban and disruption to granite supply has served as a wake up call to the construction sector to consider alternative building methods and materials used.
However, it is also important that the public understands what sustainable construction means.
The BCA has put up a three-week exhibition and published a coffee table book to do just that. - CNA/ms
Channel NewsAsia
SINGAPORE : Mining activity could start at the Kekek Granite Quarry in Pulau Ubin in three to six months.
This is according to Minister of State for National Development Grace Fu.
Re-opening the quarry is part of the government's plans to make up for the granite shortfall facing Singapore, after supply was disrupted last month.
Meanwhile, authorities are also working to reduce granite and concrete prices.
It is still quiet at the granite quarries on Pulau Ubin, and a lot of work needs to be done before granite blasting begins.
This includes draining the pond and making sure that the marine life and surrounding environment are protected.
The National Development Ministry said there were no plans to mine granite in any large extent.
But the re-opening of the Kekek Quarry was a way of building up mining expertise and meeting industry needs in the near term.
The government has already released granite from its stockpile since supply from Indonesia was disrupted.
With new shipment arriving from alternative sources, the Building and Construction Authority (BCA) hopes to adjust granite prices from May onwards.
Ms Fu said, "The way that we look at stockpile price is really to look at what is the replacement price, and because we have awarded several contracts on procurement of sand and granite, we think that there is some room for granite prices to come down and that is what BCA will do.
"The whole intention is to make sure that the construction cost in terms of the use of granite and concrete will be as competitive as we can, despite the higher cost of transportation, that it will reflect the market price as closely as possible."
This will, in turn, lower the price of pre-mixed concrete used in construction.
It hit a high of S$200 per cubic metre after the supply disruption.
But the price has now dropped to between S$170 and S$180.
Observers expect the price to dip further but they added that the key was to look at non-concrete options.
Tai Lee Siang, President, Singapore Institute of Architects, said, "In a very highly-urbanised environment like Singapore where buildings have to maximise its potential which means that buildings have to actually go high or go big - in these kind of buildings, it's very hard to go for alternative materials...yet, however for low scale development, I think (we) could see a combination of concrete and timber perhaps, and maybe in the future, more interesting alternatives that research could go into. So in Singapore, in this way, we are still very much lagging behind in looking for alternative materials."
Looking ahead, authorities will conduct more R&D - drawing from the Ministry's S$15 million research fund.
Industry players said the sand ban and disruption to granite supply has served as a wake up call to the construction sector to consider alternative building methods and materials used.
However, it is also important that the public understands what sustainable construction means.
The BCA has put up a three-week exhibition and published a coffee table book to do just that. - CNA/ms
Subscribe to:
Posts (Atom)